Thursday 29 March 2018

Struggling to keep up with all the special events, dress-up days, bake sales, and projects my kids' school puts on. I have ADHD--do I just suck at life?


I have 2 kids and I work as an assistant at the kids' school (in a different classroom).Honestly we are 2/3 of the way thru school (term goes to the end of June) and I've already had to cope with crazy hair day, book character dress up, people of the past dress-up, STEAM dress-up, a special STEAM box that had to come back to school assembled (the kids got random items and "they" had to invent something with it), International day dress up, international day buffet which required me to make 2 dishes from our home country, 2 bake sales where I had to make something to sell...I swear to god I think I'm missing some.It is almost every week. One time I chose not to dress my kids up because I didn't have any crafting materials and when they got to school, half the kids were in Iron man costumes and Disney Princess dresses(Not even remotely related to the theme) so my kids were devastated. I even had coworkers chastising me. I felt horrible.The thing is, just getting my kids out the door on time is an accomplishment for me. Teeth brushed and matching socks is a big deal. It's a huge deal that I get their lunches packed the night before and uniforms laid out. It takes a lot of effort for me to be that organized. I know I suck at life. I try so hard, and there is such immense pressure to participate in all these things.Is this normal? Is this what I will be doing for the rest of their academic careers? On top of it, I have to make sure their homework folders are packed up and organized, I have to have a separate bag packed once a week for swimming, and they get told off if I forget something. My 6 year old is better at remembering library day and PE day than I am.The night before each of these events parents will be texting in the group chats about which stores or which malls they've driven across town to get to, in order to purchase items required for the special events. I'm sorry, but for me this is SO. EXTRA. I am not going out at 7pm on a weeknight to buy a blue tshirt because of some stupid event. I feel horrible about myself for feeling this way.We still have a music class production which will require me to buy more items to have my child in the appropriate costume. Simple as it may be, it is still extra work. I barely have the bandwidth to make food for my kids that doesn't go in a microwave every day and I am really struggling to keep track of all these events.What do you guys do? Do parents actually enjoy this? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2GCeXWp

No comments:

Post a Comment