Thursday 29 March 2018

Boyfriends mother thinks 13 month old is autistic


I’d like to start off this tangent by saying if my daughter is autistic, it wouldn’t change anything she’s still my beautiful little butter muffin and I will forever feel blessed that I’ve produced somebody so cute and special.It all started about 2/3 weeks ago when my boyfriend mentioned via FaceTime that his mother is worried about DD because she’s not a cuddle baby. Which is true, since DD became mobile at about 7/8 months she has become independent in the sense that she’s more than happy just toddling around and playing with toys alone and doesn’t seek a huge amount of interaction while playing except when she wants a nap, peppa pig, food or wants you to play peekaboo. She’ll play happily by herself for an hour at a time before she comes back to inspect what you’re doing then she’ll sit and chatter to you for a while then go back to playing but during that hour she doesn’t really like being picked up or snuggled by anybody, not even me who she is normally very close too.My boyfriends mother is a very nice woman, she’s bought a lot of clothes and toys for DD and loves her granddaughter dearly but she’s a hypochondriac and is constantly diagnosing people as narcissist/autistic/special. She is very busy with college and works a manual labor job 6 days a week, so she doesn’t have much free time and is understandably very tired when she does have free time this means she doesn’t spend a lot of quality time with DD, so DD isn’t very close with her and will always look for me whenever she picks her up.DD is like that with most people, the only people she’s close to and will happily be held and snuggled by are me and my dad (her primary caregivers)She also made a point that DD isn’t good at keeping eye contact and that she likes to flap her hands , which I can see her point but I don’t see them as a problem because DD can hold her gaze when playing with her otherwise she’s more interested in your mouth and only she flaps her hands when excited.It’s agitating as when it was first brought up I thought that it was just his mother being a hypochondriac but due to my anxiety I can’t stop looking for signs. I told my dad of her suspicions and he thinks that it’s ridiculous and he can see it’s really eating away at me. He said that I should bring her to the health nurse to give myself peace of mind but i feel like I’ll just be told that she’s too young to make any sort diagnosis. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2GiNpSx

No comments:

Post a Comment