Friday 30 March 2018

Opinion on DokiWatch and similar Smartwatch devices?


I have a 6 year old with ADHD.I had/have ADHD and was also the youngest in a large family, so I feel that I wasn't as prepared for some things as I really could have been as a kid. On the one hand, I had all the benefits of growing up in the 90s: lots of friends in the neighborhood, freedom to roam the suburbs, walked home from the bus stop with others from my area, etc.On the other hand, if I needed to get in touch with my parents, everyone had a hard line I could call from. To dial 911, I didn't need to enter a password, or swipe a screen, navigate to a menu option, THEN dial a number on a keypad. It takes 3 steps to be able to call "999" on my cell phone, and everyone's cell phone is different. In the 90s, all you had to do was pick up the phone and dial.So my son wants more independence, but I also am training him with how to keep track of the time and when to come home, how to ask for help, etc etc. So far, he's been okay at it but he is really bad at remembering when to come home--even when he has a watch. Maybe I'm lazy but it would be so great to ring him up on a DokiWatch and be like 'get your butt home' without having to wander around to track him down.I like the idea of him being able to call me to let me know where he is. Right now he is very good at telling parents: "Can you text my mom and tell her I'm here?" But that's not always possible, especially when he's playing outside in a group or when a nanny is home and not the parent. Or if he makes new friends whose parents I don't know.What do you think? Is this a 21st century gimmick? Is this too sheltering? We all learned to come home on time the old fashioned way, but I can't lie and say the GPS tracking for the SOS function isn't comforting. I want my kid to be independent, to be in situations where he has to make choices without me being there making them for him. But I also like the capability of ringing him when it's time to get his ass home.Right now, he knows that the sunset call to prayer means he's late. That's a good signal to him, but we won't be living in the Middle East forever.Thoughts? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2E6RlDW

No comments:

Post a Comment