Saturday 31 March 2018

Shared a video of my daughter at work, coworker called me a terrible parent for subjecting my daughter to “such adult things”


This is half rant, half seeking input. I truly don’t feel there was anything wrong with happened but maybe I am in the minority. Also, throwaway due to possible backlash if I am in the wrong. I’ve seen the nasty side of Reddit beforeBackstory. I (27f) have been with my SO (27m) for over two years now. One of which he has lived with me and my daughter (6 1/2f). The half is very important to her. He is not her biological father, but he is very much a father to her.As long as she has known him, he has had facial hair. Usually a beard, at the very least a goatee. He’s joked with her multiple times about shaving it off, and she always yells at him “you better not!” Well a week or two ago, he got offered a job, and at dinner he was talking about it and told her he was going to have to shave so he could look presentable for the interview. She was so upset that she actually broke down in tears. He consoled her and said to make it up to her, after dinner, she could use the clippers to help him shave.So we go upstairs after dinner, he notched lines in his face to show her where she can and can’t use the clippers, showed her how to use them and she did a good job for the most part. She had fun and it made her feel better. I had fun watching him panic the entire time and took some pictures and video of it.At work yesterday, the topic of shaving came up between me and two female coworkers, and I remembered I had those videos. I showed them a couple videos, they thought it was funny and adorable. A male coworker overheard us and was interested in seeing what we were talking about. When I showed him, he immediately stepped back and told me I’m a terrible for “subjecting her to such adult things”. How it was grossly inappropriate for my SO to have his shirt off in front of her. How it was a sexual situation between them. How it was terrible to be teaching such a young child to be a servant to a man. All this crazy stuff, making me feel bad, like I did something wrong. I asked some other coworkers with children about this, one said maybe the shirt off wasn’t mandatory but otherwise it’s not that big of a deal.I couldn’t stop thinking about this the rest of my time at work yesterday. I talked to my SO about it, he said that my male coworker who said those terrible things was “a jackwagon who needs to step out of his fantasy world”. I personally don’t think there’s anything inappropriate with the nature of what happened. He sat on the floor to be at her height, he took his shirt off because that’s how he has always shaved and planned on showering afterwards. He still had pants and shoes on. They talked, he coached her through what she was doing, there was nothing inappropriate to the situation in any way. Or am I missing something bigger here? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2GqICOV

No comments:

Post a Comment