Thursday 29 March 2018

Parenting Level Up


I've struggled with depression and anxiety for more than half my life (in my mid 30s now) and by far having a child, being a single parent (while working) and completing grad school has been the longest and most challenging experience I could have imagined. I've had issues with being short-tempered, overwhelmed and yelling on many occasions when my daughter was younger. However, I knew at that time it was wrong and wanted to be better.I took a parenting class, kept up with posts here, meditation, eating better and, most of all, just effort, and incrementally I realized I was getting better. Last night, I had the most challenging night of my life with my 10 year old, who is already going through puberty. She lost it about something fairly inconsequential - screaming, stomping etc. Whereas before, this would have triggered me to lose my f*cking mind, I didn't raise my voice, but clearly expressed that this behaviour absolutely crossed a line, there would be consequences to pay and she was sent her to bed immediately (mostly for my own sanity).When I went to see her this morning, she had written a note to me during the night, apologizing and expressing some of her own anxieties about life and telling me she loves me. It honestly just felt so reaffirming. We had a lovely affectionate morning chatting about our weekend plans. If I had hurt her by raising my voice or screaming last night, we never would have had this opportunity. So to the parents who are struggling with frustration and temper, know that it can get better. Forgive yourself for your past mistakes and try your best to get better. I see a lot of times people ask for help with their temper and some not-so-helpful people harshly criticize and repeat words like child abuse. While I don't disagree, you are making the assumption that people who post on here for help haven't already realized they have a problem. So shout out to the overwhelmed parents trying their best. Don't give up! via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2GAQkJB

No comments:

Post a Comment