Tuesday 27 March 2018

My 13yo daughter has become interested in things like astrology, healing crystals, and psychics


My husband and I are both (essentially) scientists so we feel out of our element here. It started slow, but recently grown almost obsessive and certainly as a major part of her identity. She wants us to pay for a session with a psychic for her birthday, she's spending all of her allowance money on crystals, she is teaching herself how to do astrology charts, etc. My husband is adamantly opposed to all of this and wants to enroll her in weekend science classes and camps.On the one hand, her interests are completely antithetical to our values and work. Not-so-deep-down, I have a hard time not thinking of these things as snake oil at best and a fundamental, frightening dearth of critical thinking at worst.But I don't want to push her away. I want to be open-minded not just in lip service, but in spirit. It's so hard for me, but I want to try to accept my daughter for who she is at this point in her life. But at the same time, I'm definitely not comfortable with giving money to scamming frauds who I absolutely believe prey on the vulnerable ("psychics")How would you handle this? Is this concerning or should we embrace her beliefs more? If the latter, how can I open myself to something that I genuinely disdain? And how do I get my much more hot-headed husband on board, even if not to accept it but to approach it differently? They've been fighting a lot and my daughter gets frustrated because my husband is quite good at backing her into a logical corner, where she can only lash out at as a response. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2GeymgD

No comments:

Post a Comment