Sunday 25 March 2018

How much freedom to roam does your preteenager have?


My youngest will be 12 this summer and we are exploring this topic. My older two had a lot of freedom around the neighborhood but they are twins and were almost always together. My middle is a homebody and never had much of an interest in going out with friends. He prefers to hang out around here. So although he is the youngest this is the first time we have had to deal with this issue.My biggest concern is his attention span. He has ADHD and can be a bit of a space cadet. He also doesn't have a phone. He got one for starting middle school but promptly lost it. We are considering replacing it for his birthday.Do you have your kids check in at intervals either via phone or by stopping at the house to let you know where they are headed? What do you do if they aren't home by the time they are supposed to be? My son loses track of time easily. Do you call them if they have a cell phone and aren't back in time? What do you do if they don't have a phone and aren't back in time?I'm sorry if this seems crazy. I don't want to be overprotective but I worry about him more than my older 3 and this is a hard transition. My older two were more reliable, had cell phones, and were always together so that was easier to handle.Edited for age. My son is 11 now. He will be 12 this summer. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2IRmrmL

No comments:

Post a Comment