Thursday 29 March 2018

Basic human rights as something to be grateful for?


So my mum shared a post today that said '"How much allowance did you get as a teenager per week?" Me: I was allowed to live there'. The post featured endless comments such as - "nothing", "Nothing, you did what you needed to do to help out where ever you could its called respect something these kids today are lacking", "3 meals and a bed", and "Lol i worked full time, paid the bills and bought the groceries".Reasons this annoys the absolute crap out of me:What you're listing there are basic human rights. You are owed those by virtue of your parents bringing you into the world. This has nothing to do with allowance, and anything resembling 'you should be grateful you have a roof over your head' amounts to saying 'you should be grateful an incompetent person didn't birth you.' The fact that this is something anyone should be grateful for says a lot about the state of people having children. Also, I'm sorry, you worked full time as a teen, paid the bills and bought the groceries? I'm sorry your parent sucked and had you without being able to provide for you. Isn't saying 'I was lucky to have 3 meals and a bed' the same as saying 'either my parent wasn't really equipped to have me, or I'm lucky that they didn't abuse me'?It reeks of martyrdom and jealousy of 'how easy' kids have it these days. Maybe kids do have it easier. So what? They're your kids, shouldn't you be happy they have a full and rich life? An easier life does not equal a spoiled life. They can have an easier life while being taught to be good, responsible people.There is a difference between teaching a kid about responsibility/helping family, which of course you should do, and paying them to clean your house. That is not allowance. That is paying. Your child. To clean the house. You are teaching them to do a job. Not the value and importance of caring for family and home. That is not allowance's fault, that is the parent's fault.Giving them an allowance as teenagers is an excellent thing to do - it's a predefined amount of money for them to spend throughout the week. Do this instead of giving them money or items whenever they ask for them (THIS is spoiling them!), and teach them to manage their money, which gives them Independence and teaches the value of managing what money you have. This is what my allowance taught me. Maybe if the parent of the full time employed teenager had been taught this themselves, they wouldn't have had a kid they couldn't afford.Am I the only one? I certainly was on on that post's comment thread.Also, I say this as someone who grew up in a house where LOSING the house to the bank was a possibility like every five years. My mother is currently declaring personal insolvency because my father screwed us financially and bailed, and she can't afford the mortgage. I am not someone who had loads of money growing up or an easy life. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2GWovcI

No comments:

Post a Comment