Friday 27 April 2018

My Sister has reached a stage of depression and her parents seem to be punishing her for it.


Whilst I am a parent to two small children I’m actually here because I’m deeply concerned for my 18 year old sister who still lives with her parents (my Dad and her Mum)She’s been down and suffering for a few years resulting in multiple attempts at GCSEs all resulting in fails. She’s since gotten much worse.She’s at the point of locking herself in her room. Refusing to speak to anybody. She doesn’t shower or brush her teeth and her bedroom is appallingly messy and probably dirty. She’s no longer attending college so I expect she won’t be welcome back if this carries on much longer.She ignores all contact from me and my Sister. I spoke to my Dad who described her as pathetic and said he’s just leaving her until she snaps out of it because it’s just a phase.It very well could be a phase. But what if it’s not. What if the worst happens?I’ve suggested a support group for parents that my uncle has been to for my cousin but I know they’ll come up with excuses not to go.I’ve got an opportunity to have some time without my kids to be able to go and see her.Any suggestions on where to start? Do I force her to see me and just be with her and wait for her to talk?I think I also need to tell my Dad some home truths as he’s very good at shutting out problems. Both my siblings who live with him have issues going on and Mum and Dad choose to work overtime instead of facing the problems head on.Im fully prepared for it to blow up in my face as he’s not going to like being blamed but at this point I don’t care. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2HzPvy7

No comments:

Post a Comment