Wednesday 25 April 2018

How to manage alcohol exposure in a non-drinking home?


Hi /r/Parenting, I'm hoping to get some advice.My husband is a recovered alcoholic - many years sober after a decade of severe life-threatening alcohol abuse. I was never much of a drinker myself, and I also cut out alcohol completely before we got married in order to be supportive and helpful to his recovery. We have a totally dry house, but of course when we go to the grandparents' etc for holidays others drink around us, no problem.Our kids are still too young to really worry about this yet, but I am starting to think how we will navigate alcohol as they get older. I grew up in a home without substance abuse and so my parents occasionally drank around me, I had sips to drink as a teen, it was never this 'forbidden adult pleasure' and so it was just never a big deal. I still think this is probably the ideal way to raise kids around alcohol, but given our house is and will remain dry, it's not an option for us. I also don't plan on starting to have drinks out at restaurants, parties, etc - it's just not very enjoyable for me after 6+ years of zero drinking. So it seems like our kids will have very little exposure to alcohol until they're teens going to parties, which seems like a potential recipe for disaster.There is a clear and strong genetic component to the alcoholism in my husband's family, and I would like to try and break the cycle of addiction for our kids. Does anyone have any similar experiences or any advice for us?(and while I'm at it, does anyone else find the relentless culture of mommy=wine exhausting and alienating? like, not all moms chug zinfandel starting at 11am. it seems sometimes like all mom social events or conversation revolve around drinking which sucks.) via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2HPOtkM

No comments:

Post a Comment