Saturday 28 April 2018

Husband wants to do 15 hour day trips with 9 month old...


I don’t know if this is a post more for r/relationships but I wanted the advice/views of other parents...so I’m posting here.A little background: my DH and I have a 9 month old baby and a dog. We used to live in Europe (just the two of us) where doing day trips was pretty reasonable. Fly 1-2 hours and you’re in a different country and you can be home in the evening. We really enjoyed that. We did a few day trips when I was pregnant but I felt it was too much already and even cancelled one because I couldn’t handle it anymore. DH and I talked and agreed that after baby was born it wasn’t ideal and we would have to resort to weekend trips. Bigger expense but totally worth it. I thought we were agreed. We recently moved to the states where doing day trips is just not possible (at least for us). I also should mention I suffer from depression and have been having a very hard time since baby was born. I recognize I have been especially difficult to deal with and have a doctors appt on Tuesday to hopefully get some help.Now to yesterday: my husband is desperate to go somewhere. He works for an airline so we have flight benefits. I’m a bit tired of hearing his frustrations about being “stuck” here. Please know we just moved countries, he has just started a new job and we are in the middle of furnishing our new apartment. I don’t think we have the extra cash to go somewhere and was hoping to start travelling again in June. Yesterday he mentions taking a day trip to Montana and I agreed. The flight is less than two hours, and it sounded like an overall relaxing day. But he gets home and decides he instead wants to go to Laguna Beach which is an almost 3 hour flight from us. He was really excited to go to the beach. I really didn’t care for it. I agreed at first, because I feel bad that he hates being “stuck” here so much. But after realizing what a hectic day it would be for everyone I said no. Waking up at 5 am and going nonstop until at least noon, and not being home until about 10 pm. He was pretty upset and said that I never care about how he feels and it was ridiculous I don’t want to go. That maybe Baby wants to go. She can handle it. I am always too negative and should just let us all have fun.My problems with this trip: -dog will be alone all day. Way too long in my opinion. We don’t know anyone near us to walk him while we are gone. I think it’s really unfair. -this is a long time to be out with a baby. Two flights in 1 day. A lot of overstimulation. Not sure she will nap because she’s not a great napper to begin with. -I can’t handle the stress of a day trip. I know I will be too focused on little things like how baby is handling everything. Is she comfortable, being fed enough, napping enough. I will overthink it all.So now it’s today, we did not go on this trip. My husband is upset saying that he works all week (I’m a SAHM), and I’m always demanding he buy us things. I am always complaining about being stuck at home(1 car right now). I get to buy things for myself but he gets nothing that makes him happy. I make him feel bad because I’m complaining about everything(baby,dog,house). There is obviously a lot more going on here and I am all too aware. My husband feels like I don’t understand how he feels and vise versa.But I’m posting because as a parent, would you take your kid out on a 15 hour+ day trip like this? Am I just not “laid back” enough? I hope that outside views can just help me understand if I don’t have the right point of view here. I am feeling pretty stupid having to post this here. Even dumber after writing it out. But I need perspective and I have nobody else to talk to. Thanks for reading. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2HAqTVW

No comments:

Post a Comment