Sunday 29 December 2019

The use of spanking as a discipline technique has caused a huge fight between me (26 F) and my boyfriend (31 M). We are at a stand still and I don’t know how we can compromise at this point.


So, me and my boyfriend were always on the same page when it came to spanking/physical discipline. Or so I thought.I mentioned several times when we were early in our dating that I was wholly against physical discipline past the stage where life and death intervention was needed (an infant teaching for an outlet, a small toddler reaching for a knife on the counter, etc.) I said physical discipline was necessary to stop these situations and move forward when her life could be in danger and she was too young to be reasoned with at all. But past that, spanking and physical discipline should not be a part of our parenting style. He agreed.We are now at the stage where our almost three year old understands when she’s doing something wrong or potentially harmful. Talking to her sternly works to prevent most bad behavior and when she does disobey, taking away toys and privileges is working wonderfully.My boyfriend gave her a swat today, after a couple of weeks of me mentioning that spanking needs to end, it doesn’t work on her anyway (which it doesn’t, she doesn’t care), and I’m having success with taking things away.A hellacious fight ensued and he’s ready to die on the hill of “spanking is okay because I’m not trying hurt her.”He’s also adamant that he will stop spanking when he can have a conversation with her about the issue he would spank her for. Which I already do with her now...I’m at my wits end about this because both his parents back him up and think I’m a liberal, crazy, snowflake who’s trying to coddle our child. When in actuality, I’m the main disciplinarian anyway.I am ready to die on my own hill and end our relationship over this if he continues to spank her.I really need some advice on what to do, how to handle the situation and compromise. Because, allowing our daughter to be hit on a regular basis is NOT in my idea of compromise. I will not allow it.My boyfriend is an amazing father, besides his near constant laziness (which I suffer from as well) and his now stringent need to be able to spank our kid.What do I do? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2Zwzz9q

No comments:

Post a Comment