Sunday 29 December 2019

Grandparents in town to "help" with newborn, now we're parenting everyone


Been lurking on these forums for awhile and just needed to vent. We had our second this week, and all four grandparents have come to town to "help out" with the baby as well as our daughter (4yo).In the space of a week, they've let our daughter get sick, totally broken her routine, given her sweets with no thought to healthy food, and failed to take her to any of the normal, delightful play places that we recommended. They don't cook, they're too anxious to hold the baby, they give terrible advice from their parenting era of the 1970s/1980s (YIKES), and they pester my wife with invasive and inappropriate questions about her body.They did help out with cleaning and I appreciated that, but I swear, when they come to town I just feel like I have six kids instead of two. Each of them is helpless in their own special way, and it doesn't seem to matter how clearly and concisely we lay out things like schedule, meals, and activity options for our 4yo -- they just throw it out the window and do what they want.This afternoon we finally got home from the hospital only to find out that they hadn't even left the house with our daughter all day. They kept a 4yo cooped up at home all day! Who are these people?Ok, rant over. I know, I know, I should be grateful we have all this family and I do love them. And our daughter loves them too. But sometimes I wish they'd put some real effort in. They're constantly complimenting us on our parenting, and not to brag but they're right to do so -- we're good parents. So why are they so resistant to following our lead when they say that's what they want to do? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2F36w3Z

No comments:

Post a Comment