Tuesday 31 December 2019

I think I (29M) truly hate my kids at night, and my wife (30F) is starting to resent me.


Admittedly, it's been aggravated by the holiday experience of staying with parents/in-laws, but I think it's a symptom, and not a temporary phenomenon after observing myself for the last few months.I am a light sleeper. We have a toddler boy (3.5) who wakes up ever night screaming somewhere between 12-3 AM ever since his brother (9Mo) was born. The baby wakes up 2-3 times per night. I'm the one who wakes up every time, because my wife could sleep through the apocalypse, so I go get them and do what I can. Invariably, they want her, and she wants them to sleep in our bed since she (understandably) doesn't want to get out of bed. However, I legitimately can't sleep with a child in bed due to the sounds of breathing, intermittent speaking/screaming in the middle of the night, slurp/swallow sounds while nursing, etc.My wife doesn't believe me and thinks I'm crazy for getting upset at my kids, and berates me when I sleep on the couch, but after being this short on sleep, my temper is a lot more volatile than I'd like. So when the toddler got up this morning, dumped out Hi-Ho-Cherrio, turned the light on and off (waking everyone, including the baby) and yelled that he wants to play right then and there, I just lose it, I'm speaking loudly to stop, trying to catch his attention and move him out so wife can sleep (because I heard him coming down the hall anyways). Now, wife is upset because I overreacted at him playing with his presents from Christmas...This isn't an isolated event. I hate night time because I just know that my sleep is going to be terrible. What can I do? I don't want to wear earplugs because then I can't be helpful at night, and wife is particularly grumpy when she has to get out of bed. I don't think I can afford to see a therapist... What do I do? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/39CHpTQ

No comments:

Post a Comment