Sunday 30 September 2018

My 20 month old had very early melanoma and I was completely unaware until last night.


I didn’t take him to any dermatologist appointments because I’ve been so busy with school. MIL took him instead first appointment they removed his mole immediately. Well melanoma runs in his dad’s family and it’s well know. MIL is technically my husband’s grandma but his dad died from melanoma when my husband was 10. So she adopted him. Husband has had multiple cancerous moles removed since his father’s death. I knew it was something to watch out for from day one.Son’s mole appeared at maybe 3 weeks by 18 months is was at least 10x bigger and oddly shaped. I notified his pediatrician right away and he has an appointment within a week. They removed the mole the same day and wanted to see him again in two weeks. MIL brought him to the appointment as well. When I asked her about she told me they said it was definitely atypical, definitely not normal skin cells and to watch and make sure it doesn’t come back. Apparently before I made it to the door she gave my husband the biopsy report. He didn’t read it or even tell he had it. He just placed it on top of the grandfather clock.Nearly two months later, I find the paperwork and start reading it and it starts screaming melanoma. I decide to google his diagnosis. I can’t remember exactly what they called it but as I read about it every thing scream this will become melanoma if untreated.He’s not even 2 yet. I’m happy I decided to make to call to get it checked up (yes it was very shitty of me to not go to the appointments) but I’m sort of upset at everyone. Husband for not even reading or telling me about the biopsy report and MIL for downplaying it. Sure, it was technically no big deal and was handled.This is normal for them. It’s a big deal for me. As a cancer survivor who had to go through chemo and everything. I always feared I’d curse my children. I know none of this is on me but next time a freckle turns into a giant mole I may have ignored it because I was told it’s nothing major. I would think oh it looks just like the other one and it may have ended up staying a lot longer. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2NPoCgJ

No comments:

Post a Comment