Sunday 30 September 2018

Daughter got in trouble for "cheating" and other problems. Dont know if/what I should do.


So to update on my daughters status in class, she has skipped k-2 and is currently enrolled in 3rd grade. They said that cognitively she could keep up with any student in the school, but anything higher than grade 3 would be too much socially and developmentally.Friday night I get a call from her teacher, to tell me we need to talk about my daughters behavior in class. And we set up an appointment to meet this morning. What she had to say was very suprising.The meeting started off well enough. She said that my daughter kept up with the class very easily, she still finished her work well before the rest of her class, and she would sit and read quietly after finishing her work.So far, my daughter has perfect scores on all assignments, and is excelling in all subjects, except for pe, but that was expected since she is quite a bit smaller the rest of her class.On to the problems.She said there were also a number of things that were quite concerning to her, some of them might effect whether my daughter would stay accelerated.She said that my daughter is purposely an outsider, she sits in a corner and reads during any recess periods, and rebuffs any attempts for other students to try and make friends with her.Also, she says that my daughter perpetually has her hand raised, attempting to answer every question, even though she has been repeatedly told to give the other kids a chance to answer. She also seems to get frustrated when another child answers a question incorrectly. She says my daughter has an attitude that makes her think that she believe she is better than the other kids in her class.She also said she wouldn't usually bring it up, but the way that my daughter dresses causes a distraction, and is causing her to be pushed further "outside".(I let my daughter choose her own clothes, and right now she is in love with the "Loli Goth" look. I told her that nothing was wrong with the way my daughter chose to dress, and it was not against school dress code.We moved on to an issue that happened Friday. My daughters class was given a spelling test, and halfway through the test, the teacher noticed a few kids were cheating off my daughter paper. She said that she could tell that my daughter knew they were cheating off her paper too, so all involved were given zeros and sent to the office for cheating.She said the other children involved accepted their failing grades, promised never to do it again, and that was that. My daughter on the other hand refused to admit any wrong doing. She said that my daughter instead chose to deny responsibility, deflect blame, and be entirely defiant, even when threatened with suspension. She said some of my daughters responses to thier questions were down right disrespectful.After she left, I had a conversation with my daughter, to see what she had to say for herself.My daughter says that her teacher seemed nice at first, but as time went on, she let's her answer less and less, sometimes she doesn't let her participate in class at all, because they all know that she already knows the right answer. She also says that she doesnt want to make friends with anyone in class, because she knows that sooner or later she will leave them all behind. She also said that she didn't think she was better than anyone, she was better. That wasn't bad though, people were better than her too.About the cheating.My daughter said she never cheated, she did nothing wrong, and she never needed to cheat. No one would listen to her. I asked what happened. My daughter said that during the test, people copied her paper and she got in trouble for it. I asked her does that happen a lot, she said that they always copy her. I asked if she ever told them to stop, she said no. That wasn't her responsibility, she is only there to learn not to babysit.(that's what she told her teacher). She also told her teacher that she didn't tell on them because "She isn't a snitch". She also told the teacher/vice principle if she wasn't playing on her phone all of the time she would have seen them cheating earlier. She told them that it was unfair that she was getting punished because other kids wanted to cheat, and her teacher wanted likes.My daughter ended up with 3 days detention. I told her teacher that I would talk to her, and after talking to her I am not even sure if I think she did anything wrong. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2DKaPmX

No comments:

Post a Comment