Wednesday 26 September 2018

LICE. Arghhh. But also something sweet (the two are related!)


Well, my kid got lice. It doesn't seem like they originated at school. This, obviously, sucks a lot.However, something sweet happened.How did we discover she has lice? Well, I admit I must not be the most attentive parent, because I'm not the one who noticed. (I have no prior experience with lice aside from when I was very little, which I barely remember.)Instead it was a little boy in her class. For the purpose of this post, I'll make up some names. My daughter will be Katie and the little boy will be Greg. And for context, my daughter is ten.Anyway, Greg apparently had lice last year, though none of the kids at school knew. At some point today he noticed the nits in my daughter's hair and he very quietly pulled her aside and whispered to her that he thought she had lice. He told her he had had them too, and that's why his mom shaved his hair pretty short last year. He told Katie that she probably wouldn't want to tell any of the other kids, and she could just tell the teacher and then go to the school nurse, and the nurse would handle making sure other kids didn't get or have lice.My daughter was too embarrassed to tell the teacher, so Greg told her he could whisper it in the teacher's ear for her, which she agreed to. After that, her teacher pretended Katie was sick and had to go to the nurse for that reason. Apparently my daughter was very upset and trying hard not to cry, so Greg pretended to be sick too so he could accompany her to the nurse's office. He said he had heartburn. lolOn the way to the nurse's office, he said soothing things and made her laugh so she felt better.I MUST tell that kid's dad (it's always his dad who shows up at events) what a great son he has.And yes. I do have lice too. Or had, hopefully. I did all the hair stuff and laundry is in progress. I can't believe I didn't notice earlier. I'm generally an itchy person and I get dandruff regardless so I just didn't think...Eww.If you have any advice about lice, feel free to share. I know everything I'm supposed to do, but I'm feeling very anxious -- what if we miss just one egg? Will it start again? :/ via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2xVD5N9

No comments:

Post a Comment