Sunday 30 September 2018

14 year old daughter dating an 18 year old.


Having a bit of a dilemma so I thought I’d come on here and ask some other parents for advice.My daughter is 14 and I found out yesterday that her boyfriend is 18. Now I was pretty shocked when she told me and immediately said to her that I wasn’t gonna allow it which of course made her get very angry at me and storm off to her bedroom and lock her door.I let her have some time to cool off and I sat down and thought about the best way to deal with this situation. So I went upstairs to her room and asked her to let me in so we could have a proper chat about it. First I wanted to know who he was. He goes to her school but he’s 4 years above her and will be finishing school next year. She said they started talking after meeting each other at a party she went to in the summer. I told her that I understand why he likes her, she’s beautiful, kind and funny but I said they were in completely different stages of life and he really should be with a girl his own age. He can legally go out and drink, work and drive and she’s still got another few years before she can do that. I asked her what she will do when he goes out clubbing with friends and drinking and she just shrugged and said I won’t mind. I said what about next year if he goes off to university, what will you do then? Again she just shrugged and said she’d deal with that when it came to it. I also spoke to her about sex and she told me ‘we’re not having sex’. I know what 18 year old boys are like though and I find that very hard to believe. I took her word for it but I said to her that even if you haven’t just yet I’m sure he will want to soon. I talked to her about how its illegal and how he could end up in prison and be registered as a sex offender. I told her if she really liked him then she wouldn’t want to risk that happening. I also stressed to her about how she should wait because even though she feels mature she’s still extremely young. I spoke about pregnancy and all that but she still assured me that they weren’t gonna have sex yet. I said ok but told her I wanted her to go on some kind of contraception (because Im not an idiot)A lot of parents might say to me, just say no. But that’s not gonna stop her seeing him. That’s just gonna make her sneak behind my back and see him and not be honest with me. That could get her in some dangerous situations and as much as I don’t approve of this relationship I just want to make sure she is safe. I told her that her father also isn’t gonna approve. I haven’t spoken to him about it yet, we’re separated, but I know he isn’t gonna be happy. In fact I think he’ll probably want words with this boy. I asked her if his parents knew and she said she didn’t know so I told her that if it continues then I’m going to want to meet his parents.She had a rough year last year, she was badly bullied by a group of jealous girls who were supposed to be her friends so I’m finding it extremely hard to ruin another relationship for her especially when she seems the happiest she’s been in a long time. I just know this is gonna end badly though and hurt her more.Does anyone have any advice for me on how to handle this situation? What would you do? My main concern is her safety and happiness. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2IsP366

No comments:

Post a Comment