Thursday 27 September 2018

How to handle friend's unhealthy home life


My teenage daughter's close friend frequently has to lock herself and her younger siblings in her room to protect them against her father.Her younger brother, also a teen, is autistic and struggling with his meds so he often struggles with controlling his behavior. When this happens, she says the boy and father attack each other, with the father chasing him around the house until she locks them all in her room.I asked what happened if he caught her brother and she just got quiet. I asked if her father had hurt him before and she kind of, "uh, um, well.." I reminded her that, as hard as it would be, she can always call the police when it happened.The mother is aware of it all, to my knowledge, but isn't home when these things happen. If she was home, the father wouldn't be engaging with the son.I know autistic kids who are struggling to control themselves can be violent, but if she's protecting him in her room she's obviously not too afraid of him, so I have a hard time justifying any behavior like this on her father's part.At what point do you raise concerns with CPS in a situation like this? I don't know that they are being physically abused, although something was thrown at the boy during the last big fight.The family seems great from the outside and socializes with teachers and medical professionals frequently. If the daughter, who I trust, hadn't told my daughter this, and later me, I wouldn't have had a clue. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2OPYoai

No comments:

Post a Comment