Monday 26 February 2018

Parents disowned me when I fell pregnant as a teen – now they want to establish a relationship with my family


I had my son when I was 18. My husband was 19 at the time. Needless to say, we didn’t plan the pregnancy. Teenage stupidity mixed with Vodka and out came out my boy nine months later. I come from a very religious family in a small town. My father is an ex pastor and my mother has always been heavily involved with the local church.From when I was little, I was raised with church and religion. I used to be very passionate about Christianity, but as I approached my late teens, I will admit my faith began to wane. Because of that, I began to drift from my parents.Sex before marriage was an absolute no-no in my family, so you can imagine their reaction when I told them I was with child. It also didn’t help that my husband is atheist. And while they will always refute it, I know they weren’t too fond of the fact that my husband is a mix of Hispanic and Black (my younger sisters told me of the racial epithets that came out of their mouths regarding my husband and my choice to be with him). They kicked me out the house and disowned me when I told them of the pregnancy. I moved in with my husband and his wonderful family (his family were so supportive) throughout the pregnancy and when our child was born. Couldn't have made it without them.Shortly after our son was born, we moved out and got our own apartment. My parents didn’t get in contact when my son was born. They didn’t get in contact when I married my husband at 21 years old. All the way to when my son was 6 and we migrated to a different state. In the beginning, I did try to get back in touch with them. But eventually I gave up. The hurt and regret over everything that happened faded with time.Throughout all these years, we (as a family) have bumped into my parents from time to time. When we go back to our hometown and go to family functions (weddings, etc). It’s really awkward – there is no relationship. It’s like when you bump into distant relatives and don’t really know what to say. It’s been almost 20 years of this kind of “relationship” between my parents and my family.My family and I were in our home state over the weekend. My youngest sister was getting married. My parents were there. After the church ceremony, they took me aside and spoke to me. I can tell it was very hard for them – especially my dad (he has always had trouble expressing himself). They said they regretted all the time that has passed and that they want to “make amends.” They said they were sorry for everything that happened.Our son is now 17. I’m so proud of the young man he has become. I still can’t get over the fact he’s pretty much a man now. He won a scholarship to a college in the fall and I can't get over the fact he will be out of the house come September. Time truly flies.A point my mother especially reiterated was her desire to know my son. She went as far proposing the possibility of him staying with them for a week during the upcoming summer break (which for me is too big a step - even just thinking about it; way too many things to work out right now).I told them I needed time to process. It came out of the blue – I am accustomed to a cold distance between us, so them extending an olive branch came as a shock. I have spoken to my husband thoroughly about it. We’re yet to tell our son, although we will do soon.Regarding family estrangements that have gone on for a long time, have any of you experienced anything similar? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2EVeH4H

No comments:

Post a Comment