Wednesday 28 February 2018

How to talk to kindergartner about school shootings (advice/long post)


Just like the title, my 6 yr old daughter had a shooter drill at her elementary school Friday (I only found out yesterday by a recorded message from school).I asked her about the drill, where they had to go (bathroom in the classroom), what they had to do (stay quiet), and how she felt about it.She said she was scared and didn't want to die. She said that she wanted to home school because of it. And she was concerned because one of the boys kept crying in the bathroom and was making noise.I told her that it is ok to feel that way, we practice drills so we know what to do IF something happens (like a fire drill or tornado drill). She asked why in the bathroom? I told her because there are no windows, so that person can't see you. I also told her that her teacher would deal with the crying child if needed (so she doesn't have nightmares). I told her no to home school because she wouldn't have met all her friends (she's very social and loves school). I told her we don't expect it to happen, but we want everyone to be safe. I also told her that if she hears anyone talking about hurting students or teachers, to tell a teacher/adult (so she has something to 'work' on in her dreams/head).I hope I did everything 'right', her Dad was working late, so couldn't help when this happened. Is there anything I could read that would help if she has more questions/anxiety about this?It just scares me about this world my baby is growing up in. I mean I was in MS when Pearl High School shooting happened, but it seems worse now (probably because she's my baby).tldr: daughter had a shooter drill at elementary school, any reading on how to talk to daughter if she has more questions/anxiety about school shootings via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2t3EZfI

No comments:

Post a Comment