Monday 26 February 2018

Help for a soon to be stay at home Dad (xpost from r/daddit)


Hi all! My husband is slated to be the primary caregiver in 4 weeks when I go back to work. He says he wants to do this, and I believe that he absolutely can but he's struggling at the moment and I'm hoping to get some resources or suggestions for him.Baby is only 4 weeks and has recently been having a lot of days where all she wants to do is feed or be with Mom. This had been really hard on Dad and I think it's making him doubt his abilities. Currently I stay with baby at night while husband sleeps in the guest room. He wakes up in the morning and comes to take her for a few hours so I can get some sleep but lately she's been really cranky and I think he just doesn't have a lot of 'tricks' in his toolbox because he'll rock her, walk with her, change her etc but if those things don't work he brings her upstairs to me. He's been getting really frustrated and the agitation shows in his voice. He says things like 'she's decided to be difficult today' or 'there's nothing wrong with her she shouldn't be crying'Husband had no experience with babies prior to this. I've tried to explain to him that babies cry, and it's not a reflection on his abilities but I don't think he's buying it. I think going into this he always imagined taking care of a toddler and above, someone he can play with instead of this little sack of potatoes that screams and doesn't seem to like him (she totally does like him.)What can I do to help give him more confidence and build his caretaker skills so that we are all comfortable with me leaving for an 8 hour workday?? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2Cltx2X

No comments:

Post a Comment