Tuesday 27 February 2018

"Childish" teenager is losing friends because of his interest. What can I do to help him?


My son is on the socially immature side and can't seem to make any lasting friendships.My son just turned 13 years old and is in 7th grade. He use to do okay socially. He was never Mr. Popularity but that wasn't a problem with me. He had a solid friend group that came over regularly.He hasn't had a friend come over since mid December and spends his weekends at home. His friends have moved on from childish interest into things that are more age appropriate. Instead of watching Phineus and Ferb they tune into Stranger Things. Instead of wanting to play "war" they are interested in playing sports. Minecraft and Legos have been replaced by Snapchat and Instagram. They like to hang out at the mall and shop for clothes while he would rather be in the toy section. Many of them are starting to dip their toes into the world of dating. I'm pretty sure my son still thinks girls have cooties (not literally but that's how uninterested he is).I'm not saying anything is wrong with my son. I love that he's a unique individual that doesn't follow the crowd. He isn't afraid to do his own thing but he has noticed that his friends have left him behind. He asked me recently what was wrong with him and why no one likes him. I told him that nothing was wrong and he would find his own crowd but will he? It's hard seeing other kids his age going out and having a good time while he plays in the backyard with our dog or watches YouTube to keep himself occupied.His best friend since first grade called him a loser and I think that was the tipping point for him. I know he thinks that there is something wrong with him.He is involved in boy scouts and the drama club at his school but it he rides solo in both for the most part. He has a couple of friends he talks to while he is there but none that I would consider to he his friends. He has necer been invited over their house and they have declined invites. He sits alone at lunch.What can I do to help him? I know he is at the age where I can't be too involved in his social life but he is dreading Spring Break because he knows he won't see anyone for a whole week. I need to do something. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2CLrpNy

No comments:

Post a Comment