Monday 26 February 2018

My daughter told me I make her want to die and she hates me, I feel like the worst mother


A while ago, I found out that my ex-husband had been having an affair for years. I made my own post about it on the relationships Reddit, and decided to leave with my 16 year old daughter. I told her about the affair to remove confusion from the situation. We moved several states over to live with my family, and I’ve been working two jobs to make money. It’s really hard. She’s the only person I have, but she’s been making friends easily so I have to let go of her almost everyday. When she’s not at school, she’s with her friends or at a party or at sports. I feel guilty for moving her, but I didn’t feel my ex could’ve cared for her properly without me. He hadn’t cooked for her in over 5 years. My daughter and I fight more often than ever now. She never wants to do her homework, and only maintains her grades to C’s so she can participate. She used to love school, now she forces herself to vomit so she won’t go. I try to give her mental health days, but sometimes I just need her to get up and go. We live with my parents, who call me a bad mother and say my leaving is why my daughter struggles.Last night, I was arguing with my daughter. I’d caught her coming home drunk, and I was really upset about it. I told her she was grounded, and she told me I wasn’t allowed to police her like that. I said I’m her mother, so I do get to police her. She said I don’t act very much like one, and all my shitty decisions have made her feel suicidal and like she hates herself. She said she hated me, and that she didn’t wonder why her father had cheated on me. I told her she couldn’t talk to me that way, and she said she didn’t care- I deserved whatever she said. I didn’t want to fight with her anymore, so she went upstairs, and hasn’t gone to school today.I’m a bad parent. I’m a horrible mother. I don’t know if I need someone to talk me out of that, or if I need the confirmation, but I’m here. I don’t know what to do with my daughter. I don’t know if I can afford therapy for her, and I’m not sure if I’d be willing to reach out to my ex again. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2F4apHD

No comments:

Post a Comment