Wednesday 28 February 2018

My Kid thinks Friendship stops shootings


So my 8 year old told me something that blew my mind yesterday.Apparently her teacher had decided to share with the class what happened with the latest school shooting. Personally I did not want to tell her about it because she’s 8, I feel she doesn’t really need to know about that right now. Frankly if a school shooter shows up in an elementary school, her knowing that this happens isn’t going to do her a lick of good, because she’s 8 and will not be prepared either way unless that schools running monthly gunman drills, which they aren’t. So why worry her.But that’s neither here nor there at this point.On the way home she told me how her teacher said that and asked if it was true. Since I have a policy of either truth or omission ,but never downright lies with my kids, I confirm that it’s true.She then looked at me and said ‘That’s why I tried to make friends with x. He only has one friend, so I gave him a note that said ‘wanna be bffs?’ But then he tried to throw it away! He needs to have more friends so he doesn’t grow up and shoot people, if you know, that’s what he wants to do.’I just kind of stared at her for a moment. I had no idea what to say. It was like getting sucker punched in the brain.Today my fiancĂ© and I are brainstorming on how to talk to her about how not every introvert is a madman waiting to happen. I’m also writing a letter to the teacher to find out exactly what was said, because my daughter also mentioned meaness as a cause of these shootings and I need to know where that idea came from.I am heartbroken that this is a talk I have to have with my 3rd grader. I hate this country so much right now. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2CNgwuG

No comments:

Post a Comment