Sunday 25 February 2018

My husband's very short temper is rubbing off on my toddler. What can I do about this?


My husband has the shortest temper I've ever seen. He gets frustrated and yells and swears whenever things go wrong or someone upsets him. Recently, my 2-year-old son has started to have similar behavior - he'll grunt and swear or sigh loudly in frustration whenever anything doesn't go his way. He's also very quick to give up when something is too hard. I honestly think he's just copying his daddy because he thinks it's cool to act like that.Some background - my husband had a very traumatic childhood, which he attributes his issues to. He says he just can't help getting angry, and gets upset whenever I bring it up, which lead to fights in front of our son. He says he's working on it, but refuses therapy. To be fair, he used to break stuff and punch walls when he was angry. He now doesn't do that anymore, so he has improved, but his anger issues are still very apparent.Since I can't force my husband to change or do anything about this, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for how I can teach my son not to get so easily frustrated, and to problem solve calmly to reach a goal, when he sees his dad model opposite behavior all the time.I'm a total type A personality and attribute my successes in life to my persistence and ability to solve problems under pressure. I'm very worried that my son is learning to get frustrated and give up quickly when something doesn't work right away. I'm afraid it's going to be a curse for him and ruin his life. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2F5lQi6

No comments:

Post a Comment