Tuesday 27 February 2018

"I hate Spanish" - 8yo raised bilingual only speaking English


Is this normal? My LatAm husband is especially upset about this (I am too but I don't take it personally), and his family is even more crushed. Every time he or someone in their family speaks Spanish to her, she yells, "I hate Spanish!" and won't respond until someone speaks English (everyone is bilingual).How much should we give in versus insisting on her speaking Spanish? It's really becoming a battle and my MIL is devastated...and starting to get angry at my daughter, which seems like a but of an overreaction to what just may be a phase. My FIL thinks that she's been getting anti-Latin American messaging from society and wants to separate herself from her heritage, but I'm wondering if there's a less insidious rationale. But maybe not :-/Any help or thoughts appreciated for how to handle moving forward.(If it matters, I am white non-Hispanic) via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2F9JOZv

No comments:

Post a Comment