Sunday 31 December 2017

Need reassurance, I am terrified my toddler is going to grow up to be someone none of us like to be around


I made this account just to post this. I feel so horrible even thinking it, but it seems like our almost 1.5 year old daughter is just cursed with a really obnoxious personality and I don't know how to just accept it and move on somehow. Ever since she was born, she has been EXTREMELY demanding, loud, obtrusive, and dramatic -- the exact opposite of the rest of us. We are all quiet, reserved, polite people who enjoy having our personal space and time to relax. She is nonstop shouting, yelling, tantruming, screeching, biting, scratching, demanding attention and in your face 24/7. And worse, the kid doesn't fucking SLEEP! I haven't had more than 4 or 5 hours sleep in a single night SINCE SHE WAS BORN. And that's not 4 or 5 hours in a stretch; that's broken up over the course of the night. We have tried every reputable sleep training method short of just shutting the door and refusing to open it until morning. We can't do that because she would likely scream the entire night and 1., we don't want to do that to her, and 2., we live in a condo and would have the cops called on us after a couple hours or so. But we've tested it out and she will cry for AT LEAST two hours STRAIGHT with no sign of stopping. She wakes up 4 - 10 times every night, whining, then fussing, then all out screaming until someone comes and rocks her back to sleep. She wants to be nursed to sleep even if she just ate a 7 course meal and then wants to nurse hourly after that, ALL NIGHT LONG. She used to take good naps though, which helped us maintain our sanity but not anymore. Now she'll sleep half an hour and wake up yelling, then act like you'd expect a sleep deprived toddler to act for the rest of the day. My spouse and I finally admitted to one another that we genuinely regret having had her. I wish on a daily basis that I could go back and NOT make that decision. The thing is, in spite of this, I do love her. I WANT to like her. I want to hold her and hug her and cuddle with her, I want to sit on the floor and read books with her like I did with her older sibling, and draw pictures and go for walks... but she makes everything miserable by constantly doing things that ruin it for everyone. Try to read her a book? She yanks it out of your hands and throws it. Or reaches out and tries to tear the pages. Try to draw a picture? It's not fun until you make Daddy or Mommy mad by trying to draw on them and then biting when they take the crayons away. Walks? Forget it, she will refuse to hold your hand and sit down on the sidewalk and scream when you insist. We can't take her places in the car; she screams the entire time. We can't go to the store because we have about 30 seconds before she starts yelling and throwing the items she can grab on the floor, or trying to get out of her seat, etc. There isn't a second of peace in our house until she falls asleep for a blissful few minutes before the battle begins again. I hate that I long for the times when she is sleeping so I don't have to deal with her. I cry often, thinking of the fun times we all had before she arrived. We are all cranky and totally overwhelmed by this tiny, obnoxious, high maintenance addition and I don't know what to do.I want to know if anyone had a baby like this who learned to fit in with their family eventually. I want to enjoy being around her like we did with our other child. I am sick of dreading every day because it's completely overwhelming and I'm barely clinging to sanity. I want to hear some stories that will give me a reason to keep trying with her, because I do love her. I know it sounds like I don't but I'm crying as I write this because admitting it is so hard. I kiss her and hug her and tell her she's wonderful all day, even though inside I'm dying for a moment of peace. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2C42RzU

No comments:

Post a Comment