Friday 29 December 2017

MIL talking to kids about God


My husband and I are atheists. I was raised Unitarian Universalist and believe I have a healthy appreciation for world religions, but consider all of them to be mythological rather than explanatory.My MIL never struck me as particularly religious. According to my husband they went to church as kids but it seemed mostly about the community aspects to him. His father still attends church regularly but his mother is not....well, religious, about her attendance.My 4yo recently mentioned something about "God does xyz" to me. I asked where she heard that and she said that Grandma has been teaching her about God. I asked her to tell me more and she elaborated at great length on the things my MIL has been telling her. She sees grandma frequently and they get plenty of one-on-one time together.I explained to my 4yo that some people believe God really exists and affects the world, and that daddy and I think stories about God are imaginary, like Paw Patrol (when she was younger she asked to visit Paw Patrol and that discussion was where the concept of "imaginary" really seemed to click for her). I emphasized that it was important to treat other people's opinions and beliefs about God respectfully. She was totally fine with all of this, and said that she believed God was probably imaginary, too.It seems inappropriate, but also harmless, that MIlL is having these conversations. What bothers me the most is that MIL is quite evidently having them behind our backs, which strikes me as not a coincidence. So all of that said, should I ask my MIL to back off the God talk? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2Cn0ATA

No comments:

Post a Comment