Wednesday 27 December 2017

My 17 y.o. daughter doesn’t like my new girlfriend; we want to move in together


I was married for 20 years to my ex-wife for 20 years, dating for 5 years before. We have a 17 year old daughter, and divorced 2 years ago. My daughter wasn’t too torn up about it, we had been fighting for years at that point and it was just time for us to split. Obviously, she was upset but we had a lot of long talks about it, and she was just glad there wasn’t going to be so much stress. A year after we divorced, my ex died, and my daughter went straight to the anger phase of her grief. She started acting out in school, getting into fights with all her friends, etc. I tried just about everything. She has a counselor, goes to group therapy, and I try to spoil her when I can.Just before my ex passed, I started dating a new woman, and we’ve been going strong ever since. I didn’t introduce her to my daughter until about 6 months after she lost her mom, and she hated her. Naturally, I don’t blame her for it. At her age, in her shoes, I wouldn’t handle it well either. My girlfriend and I are thinking of moving in together next year, and my daughter is threatening to get emancipated if I do. She hates my girlfriend, and she doesn’t really have much of a reason to. We dated at a good time for us, but I introduced her at a pretty shitty time, so I think she might’ve just badly associated the timing, which might be on me. I tried to wait for a good time, but when’s a good time, really? My ex passed very suddenly and quickly, and I started dating my current girlfriend a month before. So, I was invested, and had no idea of what was to come.Anyways, to the point. I’m not sure what to do. I love my girlfriend and my daughter, and I don’t want to have to choose between them. I want to move in with my girlfriend badly, and while my daughter will be 18 soon, she’s going to do her first year or two of college at a community college and will be staying at home, and I also don’t want to move in with my girlfriend as a “you’re out of the house, I don’t care” move towards my daughter. What’s a good way to navigate this situation? Any advice from other parents who are dating? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2DmEXjk

No comments:

Post a Comment