Saturday 30 December 2017

Kids Aren't Into...Anything


My sons are 8 and 11. They're good-hearted kids who do well in school and don't give us any major trouble.But I'm a little worried because neither of them are into any kind of activity at all. We've tried many sports - team stuff like soccer, solo stuff like swimming - the result is always the same. They'll finish the season/session because I make them, but they'll complain through every moment of it and beg not to go back.If they were just not sporty kids and wanted to do non-sports things instead, that would be fine. But it's the same with music lessons, art classes, cooking/baking, riding their bikes, summer camp, crafts, playing outdoors in general - they'll do an activity if I make them, but they don't have fun and they certainly don't adopt it as something they're into.My husband and I are both serious introverts and former "indoor kids" - so to a point, we get it. But despite this, both of us had some activities throughout childhood that we managed to enjoy even though our default setting was to be at home by ourselves. And I guess I'm a little alarmed that nothing has worked for our boys yet.Maybe if they were having a fabulous time at home making their own adventures, I wouldn't worry. But that is not the case. Mostly, unless it's their allotted (and limited) screen time, my kids are bored at home. If they have a friend over, the friend will often instigate an activity they all enjoy. But they seem incapable of solving their own boredom, hate everything my husband and I suggest, etc.Meanwhile, it feels like all the other kids I know in this age group has something else that they're into, even if screen time/video games is the #1 favorite. Like my nephew is obsessed with Minecraft and YouTube, but he also likes to play baseball and the guitar. There's no "also" with my kids, and I guess I'm wondering if that is a solvable problem? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2lwiQzH

No comments:

Post a Comment