Saturday 30 December 2017

I use my daughter's nickname more than her real name


My husband and I have 2 kids, a 14 year old daughter, and a 9 year old son. I'm Dominican, he's Japanese, and it was very important to us both that they stay connected to their roots. Both of our parents live in their home countries (DR for me, Japan for his), and we rarely get to visit them. There's some good cultural resources around, and we try to make food that belongs to our cultures, but it was super important they have an inherent cultural tie. For our daughter, we chose a Japanese first name and a Dominican middle name. Her first name is Momiji- it's not terribly common, and we love how it sounds. Her nickname is Momo.The other day, a friend of mine came over to our house for the first time, and addressed my daughter as Momo. I thought it was kind of odd, but I knew I referred to her by it, so it was fine. At one point, my husband referred to her by 'Momiji' instead of Momo, and my friend asked what that meant. He said it was her name, and she said that I called my daughter Momo so often, she had thought it was her name. I was horrified. I've been trying to keep track of how often I say it, and the count gets way too high for my comfort. I tried to keep track of how many times I used her real name, and it was 3 times- once when talking to her principal on the phone, and twice during an argument.What the hell is wrong with me? Is this as much of a problem as I think it is? I told my daughter about it, and she just laughed at me. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2ltMhCv

No comments:

Post a Comment