Wednesday 27 December 2017

Any other parents experiencing depression?


I'm a sahm (been for 4 years). I've got a 1 year old and an almost 4 year old. They're a lot of work. And no matter how much I clean the house stays a wreck. The laundry and dishes never end. The toys are a constant hazard until I pick them all up at night, only for them to be scattered all throughout again the very next morning. My almost 4yo is still refusing to poop in the toilet (he purposely shit in his pants 3 times yesterday) and my 1yo refuses to ever nap, and is seldom happy unless I'm holding him. My husband is gone for about 11-13 hours per day and when he's home he acts like he hates me for any small favor I request; he won't make eye contact with me, won't respond to me, just walks away to go do whatever it is I asked. Most of the time, if I call his name he won't even respond unless I call multiple times, at which point he gets pissed off and yells back at me like he can't stand me. We are also financially strapped and living in a very old house that needs a lot of work. I used to take sanctuary in the shower for about 15 minutes each night (had time to wash & condition hair, shave, etc). But then the water heater broke, so now I stay in for only about 4 minutes until the water turns cold (no time to condition hair or shave). We don't do date nights (husband's not interested), and we don't have friends who meet our availability/interests. We occasionally get together with parents and siblings, but thats about it.I feel like I have fell into a bottomless pit of cold sticky gloominess from which I long to escape.I went to see the doc for issues I was having that I thought might be an illness; constant fatigue, lethargy, mental fog, etc. He suggested that I am depressed. After he said it, I guess I was more willing to acknowledge it out loud. And so he prescribed me an antidepressant. I will be starting the drug tomorrow. I'm a little afraid, as I've never been on anything before. But I'm hopeful that it will help me to be happier in the presence of my kids and husband.Is anyone else here currently dealing with depression, or did in the past, while trying to care for young kids? Please tell me how you're getting through it / got through it. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2zDUE3m

No comments:

Post a Comment