Thursday 28 December 2017

My son seems like he's starting to dislike me


Over the past two months or so, my 3.5yo son has started to seem like he dislikes me at times, but he doesn't act like this with his mother. For the most part, he's loving and sweet toward me like he's always been, but when he's tired or misbehaving (and sometimes at random), he does or says things that make it seem like he dislikes me. For instance, this morning he was in the living room watching cartoons and as soon as I walked into the room, he said "Go back to bed." Later, when he and mom were leaving for daycare/work, he refused to give me a hug or say goodbye. The other day, he didn't want me to take a walk with him, mom, and his sister. He always asks mom to put him to bed lately. If I do, he'll usually say "I want mommy." Sometimes, if I try talking to him after I get home from work (e.g., asking him how his day was, who he played with at school, what he had for lunch), he'll just say "NO!" and cut me off. I get that kids around his age are developing and whatnot, but damn it's hard to go through this. Part of the reason I'm concerned is because he really doesn't do these sorts of things with mom. I don't know if I'm inadvertently doing something to cause this. He has a little sister (1.5yo). As she's gotten older, she and I have grown even closer now that she's more mobile, playful, etc. I don't know if he's jealous of her since I'm giving her more attention. When it comes to disciplining him when he's misbehaving, mom is "easier on him" and will give him multiple chances, rarely put him in timeout, and speaks softly, whereas I will give fewer (but still more than one) chances, will put him in timeout, and have a deeper/louder voice. I'm not sure if my stronger/stricter parenting style may be part of the reason for his recent disliking of me.I suppose this post is me just venting, but the thought of my son disliking me is frustrating and, honestly, tough to think about. I'd love to hear any thoughts you might have. Have any of you experienced something similar? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2Cl2O3G

No comments:

Post a Comment