Wednesday 27 December 2017

My 4yo son cries and it makes me feel really mad


I’m a 30 yo stay at home dad, with a 4yo son, a 2yo son and expecting our third son in April.Every time my 4yo can’t get his way he makes a heartbreaking cry. He literally collapses on the ground where he’s standing, goes probe and cries with a miserable sound every time I say no. Like asking for candy, or watching TV, or going to bed. If he can’t have it his way he cries and goes to mom. Mom usually backs me up, but listening to his fits makes me hate him so much. I’ve tried to be calm relaxed and patient, but lately I just get this feeling of disgust and I need to remove myself from the situation. This morning he had a breakdown after I told him to stop jumping off our bed, so he went to his room, mom told me to settle down, and I told her I was sick of listening to our snivelling brat cry baby son. Ugh. Not my best moment.I need help, either to curb my emotional reaction or to help me parent better to help curb his behaviour. He’s a loving, kid otherwise, likes to share, he’s polite, likes to build things with his toys and get complimented for it. Likes to do the right thing (as per rules and expectations we’ve set as patents). He even wants to help with chores. But, man, when he cries it kills me. Even when his brother does something he doesn’t like, he’ll have a full cry and emotional breakdown. We used to think maybe it was too much TV or too late in the day or hungry, but it’ll be 9am in the morning and he’ll demonstrate this behaviour.Tips or sage advice? How can I feel less mad about my sons breakdowns? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2BXZr5D

No comments:

Post a Comment