Saturday 30 December 2017

Is it wrong to get sick of your kids and just want to run for the hills?


I have 5 lovely children, most of them adopted with my wife. Our oldest is 20, then we have 17 year old twins, a 13 year old daughter, and a 7 year old daughter. Both my wife and I work, and we don’t see much of our oldest until she comes down from college for the weekend. Our twins babysit the younger kids, and it mostly works out. Sometimes, things are great! I’m so thankful to have a family that I love, and were all happy. Then, there’s the other days.Our oldest transferred schools this year, and has been having a hard time adjusting. We get a call from her almost every night, sobbing that nothing is the same. I try to console her and sympathize, but she just gets angrier and hangs up. The twins are both applying for college, and our son is doing better academically than our daughter (she’s still doing okay, just not as well, and we make sure to praise her for what she’s doing), so he has more options. It’s creating a lot of jealousy and twin fights that often result in mass destruction once we’re home. Our daughter is a troublemaker at school, and it’s always a fight with her over homework or test scores. I tried to do Mommy Daughter Study Time, and she wouldn’t do it! I’ve asked her to do an hour worth of homework with me each night, and she flips me off and locks her door. Taking away her car did nothing, grounding her did nothing. It just makes her angrier.Our 13 yr old has hit the angsty teen phase, too. She plays her music way too loud, always yells, slams doors, and fights with her siblings constantly. Her latest technique is harassing our little one, and making fun of her for singing or dancing or just being happy in general. I got a call from a concerned teacher at our youngest’s school saying that she won’t sing like she normally does, and that she was “afraid of getting yelled at.” I told my daughter about it, and she said good, because then her sister wouldn’t be so embarrassing. We’ve been working with her to get her self-esteem back up, but she won’t sing anymore, and if she catches herself dancing, she looks very sad and stands perfectly still. She’s a handful on her own, though. If dinner isn’t up to par? It gets smashed into the floor. If she has to do too much homework? It gets shredded. If I’m talking too long? She screams. If I don’t give her my phone at dinner? She smashes her head on the table. Time out is fairly effective, but once she’s out, she just goes back to it.Ugh!! Sometimes I just want to go take a vacation all by myself and hide. Is this a normal feeling? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2CpEfoq

No comments:

Post a Comment