Wednesday 27 December 2017

My daughter dropped out of law school, and just now told me


I'm sorry if I sound overbearing or harsh. I love my daughter, I want the best for her- and this is a hard adjustment. We used to watch a lot of crime shows when my daughter was younger, after she was involved in a very serious crime, so she could see that there was bad stuff happening, but detectives solved it. It captured her. She wanted to put those bad guys in jail. I never pressured her. I wanted her to be a nurse, like me. But my daughter wanted to be a lawyer- never a cop, that was too scary- a lawyer. I encouraged her 100%. I set her up with friends of mine who were lawyers, took her to watch proceedings at the local courthouse. She made it through high school with a 4.0, applied to schools with great pre-law programs, and got into her top choice law school. I have tried to be hands-off, but ready with support and advice, and I think we have a good, respectful relationship.About a week or two ago, my daughter came home for the holidays. I asked her how school was, she said great. I asked how classes were, great. How's her friends, great. How's her boyfriend, great. Throughout the holiday, she's telling relatives how much she loves what she's doing, how glad she is that she went. Today, she sat me down and said she dropped out of law school almost at the start of the semester. She's been living at her boyfriend's apartment since, and is working at a local fast food place until she can figure out what she wants to do. I asked why she quit, and she said law is the most boring thing she could ever think of doing, and thinking of doing it for the rest of her life intimidated her. I didn't know how to react. She said she was really sorry, and left to go back home with her boyfriend. I haven't spoken to her since. I just don't know what to say, and I don't want to make her feel hurt.Any advice on how to communicate in a way that doesn't minimize her feelings? I am very disappointed. I also wish she had told me earlier. And I'd like to express that, but I'm not sure if I should, or how I should? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2lmiJqq

No comments:

Post a Comment