Saturday 29 July 2017

Should I say something to MIL about this (or have SO say something) or leave it alone?


I hope this doesn't wind up being a novel. If I leave out any background just ask and I'll give you the deets.SO and I have one 11 month old daughter together and I have a 17 year old from my first (way too young!) marriage. MIL keeps trying to sort of "enforce" her personal opinions on everyone. Some examples:She has repeatedly expressed her disapproval of my teen's choice to be a vegetarian. My daughter is very careful to get plenty of protein and all of the nutrients she needs. MIL is so overweight and in such poor health that she is basically dying of several different things at once, all caused by her lifelong horrible diet.She is constantly trying to push really unhealthy food on little one. We have her on a diet of mainly fruit and veggies, with some grains and lean meats. MIL is always like, "She's HUNGRY! Give her some jello! How about some ice cream? I have an apple pie! How about a cupcake?!" This is an 11 month old BABY. Who isn't whining for food and has finished her meal and let us know she's done. WTF?She is OBSESSED with trying to get our little one into certain cartoon characters. I have no idea why. We have decided that we want to leave it up to our child to decide what she will be into when she's older, not force her to dress in nothing but Disney princess items or whatever. When we have explained that to her, she actually says, "Well you have to get them started young or they'll choose to like something else." UM, WE DON'T LIKE THAT SHIT. Why would we want our child to like it, so she can play it with YOU once every few months?! Give me a break!She keeps trying to find a way to get our little one her birthday dress. We have already chosen her dress and we love it. And we're her fucking parents for godsake, we get to pick out her first birthday dress! MIL already had her kids, and I'm sure she picked their first birthday clothes!So there are a few examples. She annoys the crap out of me as you can tell. The issue is that she also constantly asks to babysit, but we don't want to let her because her behavior indicates that no matter what we tell her, she will do whatever she pleases with our baby and we don't like that. It's one thing for grandma to spoil the kid, but she shows a total disregard for everything we try to put in place. She's criticized our kid's nap schedule, the clothes we put her in, her bedtime, the fact that I breastfeed her, you name it. And we are doing everything as recommended by her pediatrician so it's not like we're doing something WRONG.My question is, should we try to explain to her WHY we don't take her up on her constant babysitting offers, or should we just keep blowing her off with excuses? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2tTv4cs

No comments:

Post a Comment