Saturday 29 July 2017

Am I a bad father?


Sorry guys and gals, this will be a little long winded.So to give a little backstory I am currently working 2 jobs, a part time job loading packages into UPS trailers (6:00 PM-9-9:30 PM M-F) and a full time security job overnight (11PM-7AM Tues-Sat). This schedule essentially looks like this Most days (excluding Sunday and Monday) I get home around 7:30AM in bed by 9-10AM, and up by 5PMish. Then work from 6PM-7AM between my two jobs.My wife, who has her Bachelors in Education and is currently having trouble landing a teaching job, has no work but stays with our 2 y/o son during the day. Because of our financial situation we have to stay with my in-laws and sleep in a makeshift room in the basement. My son is out of daycare for most of the summer, but still goes thurs & fri for a few hours in the morning to stay in the habit.It has been a fight with my wife about how much time I get to see my son, due to my many work hours a day and needing to sleep during the day. I have Sundays off completely, though I work all night Saturday which makes staying up all day Sunday tough. Regardless, Sunday is kind of "Family" day to me. Otherwise I see my son for about an hour or 2 a day (usually for an hour before I go to sleep, and again for an hour before I head off to work). The current fight revolves around Thursday and Friday. Because my son goes to daycare at about the same time I get home from my job, I tend to use that hour I would have spent with him to do ME things (play video games, watch TV, eat) instead. I then usually get to sleep until 5-6PM. The fight is this: I chose to stay up and relax fro a few, which makes me get up later, which makes me miss that hour with my son in the afternoon (since I sleep a little longer). She claims I'm being selfish and a bad father since I didn't get to see my boy. I feel guilty already for not being around a lot, but I also feel like I need that time for my sanity. Am I being selfish? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2uHaxqm

No comments:

Post a Comment