Saturday 29 July 2017

I don't know how to function when my kid is sick


Today I finally started counseling for anxiety and stress management and I have probably needed it for longer than I have had a child. The catalyst for me finally making the appointment is the way that I react every time my toddler gets sick.I spent the first 7ish months of my kiddo's life terrified, to the point that it's almost all I remember of that time. It finally started to ease when he got a bit sturdier and we were lucky in that he almost never got sick and the rare ocassion that he did it was mild.Well, he started daycare/early preschool in late April and has pretty much been sick since. We have not gone a solid 2 week block without something. HFMD, back to back double ear infections, virus after virus, and now unspecified pharyngitis with fever and swollen pus filled tonsils. I cannot function when he is sick. I am basically in a constant state of panic. Any fever is too high, any minor quirk in his behavior is a sure sign of brain damage or imminent seizure, I try to let my partner take care of him when he's sick because being near my sick child nearly throws me off the edge of panic looking for any sign of fatal symptoms but being away from him I can't focus. If I go to work and leave him with my partner I am sending texts every ten minutes for status updates and not getting any work done anyway. The entire time he is sick it feels like the end of the world.I don't know how to manage this. Is there anyone who has gone through something similar who can offer tools? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2v6kq1N

No comments:

Post a Comment