Friday 28 July 2017

Consequences for accidentally breaking an object?


I'm pretty sure this will just be a "now you know for next time" but I came home from work and my 8-yo told me she broke a nice glass pitcher accidentally. She is allowed to use it. She took it right out of the dishwasher when it was hot and immediately filled it with cold water. It cracked.So, obviously I know that if I had really wanted to keep it free from damage, I shouldn't have let my child use it. And I know accidents happen. And I appreciate that she told me right away and apologized.I thanked her for telling me and told her I had to think about it.It seems like the right thing is to let it go ... but ... shouldn't there be some consequences for accidentally breaking something? I mean, if I accidentally broke a friend's object, I would offer to replace it.What do y'all think?Edit: this pitcher happened to be a wedding gift. Yup, again, if it were really that important to me, I shouldn't have let her use it.Edit 2: this is all wrapped up. I wish all issues in life were this easy :) I told her I thought about it and thanked her for her courage and bravery in telling the truth. She told me she was sad she ruined a wedding gift. I smiled and told her that the pitcher can be replaced. And she had a fun science experiment. I also told her that I am quite careful with our nice cast iron pans when I'm cooking, and I always wait to rinse with water if they are hot. I don't want those to crack! via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2uGMfNt

No comments:

Post a Comment