Monday 31 July 2017

Advantages and drawbacks of an allowance?


I know that giving kids an allowance for chores can give them an early introduction to work and the value of money, but I haven't done it with my children yet. From my experience of when I was a child and a teen, I never got an allowance for chores. It was simply a baseline expectation that I had to do whatever chores or errands my parents told me to do and if I needed money for something (before I got a job), I could just ask nicely and try to justify it (they sometimes gave it to me and sometimes didn't) . I think it might have sent me the wrong message about family if I had to do chores to get money from my parents or if I was rewarded monetarily for obeying my parents or simply doing my bit to contribute to the family but I also understand that an allowance can get kids to learn about dealing with money early on. What do you think? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2vfzKce

No comments:

Post a Comment