Sunday 26 August 2018

Thinking of starting a little helping service for fellow parents...is this something you would find helpful?


Hi everyone, my DH and I are first time parents to our gorgeous son who is now 6 months old. I’m doing my PhD and until a few years ago, I’ve always been involved in volunteering and activism. In 2013 I developed a chronic disease that has made it really difficult for me to commit to any kind of volunteering schedule, especially now that I’m a mom on top of everything else. So, I’ve been trying to think of ways to give back and to use my time towards something worthwhile, where I could have more control over my own hours.Since having my son, one of the challenges for us has been the fact that we have no help. We have no family nearby, and we can’t really afford child care or some other type of assistance. I could have really used someone to do the dishes, bring some frozen meals that aren’t takeout, do some loads of laundry, take care of our cat, even just hold the baby while I go shower. I’m thinking of starting a little charitable organization where, free of charge, my DH and I would come by like once a week to do anything that the parents would find helpful.I would have loved access to a service like this, especially in those first few months, but I’m not sure if others would be interested? Like, would you feel uncomfortable having a stranger just come into your home? Would you feel okay having these strangers cleaning and being around and taking up space? Is there any kind of help you could have really used that I haven’t listed here? I want to do something actually useful for people and basically I’m wondering if people who use something like this. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2oedb2I

No comments:

Post a Comment