Monday 27 August 2018

I was “that” parent today at my son’s soccer game


So, my son (7) has a habit of giving up at the smallest challenge, and I’ve been trying to teach him some perseverance. He recently joined soccer and gets embarrassingly dramatic about running or making mistakes. I always tell my son that even if he fails, as long as he’s trying his best, I’ll cheer him on. Today at his first game, he played for two minutes before he started complaining and they took him out. The second half of the game he did amazing, and I made sure I told him that. But afterwards, I had him apologize to his coach for giving up in the first half. The coaches looked confused, and praised him as if he was some neglected child and I was gonna take him home and beat him or something. I feel like I was being extra, but I wanted him to have some sort of short and to the point consequence so I can leave it at that and then continue reiterating how well he did during the rest of the game. I totally felt like THAT parent. The one who takes sports too seriously, pushes their kid too hard, and doesn’t encourage them with kindness. I’m looking for input on how to handle such events better, how to better encourage my child, and also, to just warn parents not to make the same overzealous mistake I did. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2LzbwhP

No comments:

Post a Comment