Monday 27 August 2018

Techniques to help my daughters (both under 10) to adjust to a new life in a new city?


I recently got a new job in a new, unfamiliar city and we made the decision to relocate. The job is a lot more senior, better paying (by a significant amount) and will allow our family to fast track our investments and be better off financially for the future.It has been 3 months and both our daughters still cry about once a week that that want to go “home”. My eldest even says she has no friends and school and nobody will play with her. She has sometimes found it hard to make friends and I think she was teased a little, which I can’t confirm yet except through her recollection. My youngest daughter is more social and has made friends, but still cries that she missed home and her friends.To add to the situation, my job has turned out to be far more demanding that I anticipated. It’s also a very different culture to my previous workplace (where I had been for seven years) and there is far less camaraderie. My wife is also being challenged at her new work (she was transferred) and has received criticism that they don’t “do things like that” here.All in all, right now whenever my girls say they want to go “home”, I resist the urge to get emotional and say “yeah this was a bad idea, let’s go home.” Part of me doesn’t want to give up, part of me wants them to be happy, part of me hates myself because I think it’s only because of me that I’ve ruined their happy little lives.Has anyone been through this? What happened? How long did it take to adjust? Did you ever really adjust?We’ve watched the Disney movie “Inside Out” because of the messages it has of a girl moving to a new city, but all it did was make us more sad (my wife and I). via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2NmaNCb

No comments:

Post a Comment