Wednesday 29 August 2018

My 2yo son has started bullying kids at daycare.


Long story short: Over the last 6 weeks my son has become the daycare bully. It seemed to have happened overnight, like the same night he turned two, and I have no idea where this behaviour came from/what is triggering it or how to correct it since he only does it at daycare.He’s generally a very sweet boy and just in June his teachers were praising him saying how good he is with the other kids, especially the younger ones.Then a switch happened and she started telling me he was pushing kids down and sitting on them or pulling hair. His teacher said it happens randomly and he’s unprovoked. It's not because someone else hit him or he wants a toy from them.Like he'll start by gently touching a girl's hair and then he'll pull it and then pull them down. :( Or he knocks the boys down and sits on them.At first I thought he was doing it for attention. He started daycare in April and had a really tough time transitioning. I think he finally stopped crying at drop offs and throughout the day at daycare around the beginning of July.Around the same time, one of the 3 teachers left abruptly. No warning. There on Friday and gone on Monday. Since she left, that classroom has gone through 4 teachers (2 were borrowed from other classrooms) before they settled on the one they have. Then another one of his teachers quit on Aug. 9. They at least gave us warning this for this teacher. Since she left there have been 2 new teachers in his class. This has been really frustrating and if it hadn’t taken him so long to adjust, we’d try another daycare, but he’s going to start Montessori in January so it just doesn’t make sense to keep switching him around.Anyway back to the bullying bit...I’ve never seen him do anything like this to other kids. He went through a phase last fall where he’d act out when we were shopping for our renovation. I would wear him in the baby carrier and he’d hit my face. It would only happen in the lighting stores and once when we were in the architect’s office. Always when he was in the baby carrier. At the time I figured he did it either because the environment was scary or because I wasn’t giving him enough attention. Either way, he hasn’t done it since then.I’m not sure where he picked this up. He plays well with his cousins and the kids in our church’s nursery. His teacher at daycare said none of the other kids hit or pull hair. He couldn’t have picked it up from TV since he doesn’t watch it often and if he does it’s preschool shows like The Wiggles or Peppa. And we don't spank him for discipline.Since I’ve never witnessed him do this, I don’t know how to correct him. I’ve had talks with him, mirrored nice behavior and even gave him a puppet show with his stuffed animals, but those only seem to help temporarily. Then after a day or so his teacher tells me about another incident.Came here to see if anyone else has been in this situation. Is this normal toddler behavior, or am I the only one with a bully? Would love tips on how to handle this. His teachers seem to be at a loss and seem really frustrated with him. I'm concerned about this, especially since he's the only one doing it in his class and it doesn't seem to be getting better. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2PNJySH

No comments:

Post a Comment