Thursday 30 August 2018

How much do you have to help with homework? Is this normal?


My son is 10. He goes to a private school that advances them a year ahead. So even though he’s technically in 5th grade, they use 6th grade textbooks. Additionally my son is in the gifted class. We were not given the option to decline this.Here’s my complaint. I have to helicopter my child in order for him to succeed. He would probably be a C student or worse if left to his own devices.When he comes home from school every day I become his personal tutor and life coach. I keep him organized and on-task. I teach myself the material so I can help him. If he daydreamed in class that day, then I become the defacto teacher. I check every problem and make sure he’s getting everything right, writing neatly, etc. If he gets too many wrong, I make up more practice problems for him to do. It can all be very stressful for me. There have been times I’ve taught him wrong. I feel like I’M the one in school again.Is this normal? What is the alternative, allowing him to fail? Help! via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2PiXkvm

No comments:

Post a Comment