Friday 31 August 2018

Rant on a parent disregarding my son's accomplishments and making him feel bad.


I have 3 kids. The youngest and oldest are highly intelligent and both have skipped grades and are in gifted programs. My middle child is perfectly average in school. Scores how he is supposed to, does not struggle and is the top of his class in some areas. But since he is not in gifted programs and has not skipped a grade like his siblings he's very down on himself thinking he's not smart.Now his siblings are both loners sort of. Both have just 1 friend and don't partake in any afterschool activities or clubs. But my middle son is VERY active in everything that's offered and VERY popular. Because of this he's always elected to student council and our cities student team leadership program. Because of all of his activities he gets a lot of school awards and certificates. He's always picked for things like showing guests around the school (like our local congressman) or being a teachers aid.We've focused on all of these accomplishments to distract him from his feelings of not matching his siblings in intelligence.I'm also extremely active in the community, the school district, and the school. I'm very well known in our town. I'm asked to sit on councils, to speak at school board events, and city council events. I'm also on the PTA.The other day we went to the community pool. I saw a group of parents from the school im friends with and sat with them while my kids swam. There was a dad there I've never spoke to before but his daughter goes to our school. He seemed nice and everything was going well. When it came time to leave and my kids come up I introduced him to them and he says to my middle son "Oh you're the one who always wins all the awards" and my son was beaming, but he then said "must be nice that all your mom's work gets you special favors and picked for everything. Maybe if I joined the PTA my daughter could get picked for something for once".Watching my son's face drop was so heartbreaking. My husband and I have been trying to convince him for the past 2 weeks that it's all his hard work and his accomplishments and nothing to do with me, but he doesn't believe it. Since student council and team leadership are anonymous voting he doesn't think now that he got the votes. He thinks the principal lied about the results and picked him because of me. He doesn't think him being so accomplished and popular and well behaved is why he gets picked to do things and it's only because of me.So now not only does he feel like he's in his siblings shadow intelligence wise, but he's now in my shadow accomplishment wise. I hate this dad for taking his accomplishments away from him. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2NEpY9Q

No comments:

Post a Comment