Thursday 30 August 2018

Not a parent, but I'm looking to see from my dad's point of view.


I’m looking for some parents to help me see where my dad is coming from in our current situation.  This’ll be pretty long so I’ll put a TL;DR at the end.I’m 19 right now, living at my parents house.  So last fall I went to my first semester of college.  I didn’t do well at all.  My parents divorced and my dog passed away while I was there.  I got depressed and failed all my classes.  I decided to come back home and stay at my own house, thinking it would be better.  I went to a local community college for the next semester, and had a couple part time jobs.  Due to the two jobs and some of the stuff below I also didn’t do well at the next college.One thing about me, I really like hanging with friends and playing games.  When I can combine the two with online play I can do it for extended periods of time, like late into the night.  I’d probably go until 2-3 AM every other night playing games.  Which I know wasn’t good, since I was waking up at 6:30 for my job.  My dad hated it.  Ultimately it lost me the job (although it was a really bad job and I was already applying elsewhere before I lost it). I’ll admit I was a bit addicted to the lifestyle of gaming, and my dad’s Dad was an alcoholic.  He grew up hating addiction and was always afraid of it.  My parents always stress that addiction can be genetic, which I don’t doubt.Here’s where the arguments come up.  My dad thinks I’m an addict to gaming and I can’t control it.  My mom has never liked games because she thinks it’s antisocial.  I disagree, I believe gaming with friends can be quite social, even though it isn't face to face. (BTW, I don't only do games. I went out every couple nights with friends of mine and we hung out.) I think my dad was right to a degree, and it was a bit out of hand.About a month and a half ago, to combat my staying up late (and my sister's, she does it too), my dad put 2 restrictions on our router. OpenDNS and Circle by Disney. They don't allow any internet access past midnight, for anybody in the house, and they limit adult sites (which I don't mind). This kind of infuriated me, as I pay $200 of rent to live at the house (which isn't much, but it's more than anybody I know my age pays their parents), and I also have payed for all of my devices, which include my $900 laptop and $1500 desktop computer, along with paying my phone bill and gas for my car.None of my friends have payments like I do, some of their parents even pay for their gas still. (Not that I want that, I think it's important to be paying for my own things.) I just want to have the freedom I've earned from being more independent than most my age.Within the month and a half of being internet limited, I quit my jobs and am now working full time at a new one, with decent pay. I don't plan on doing school this next semester. I've also started working out 5 days a week, and am required to make 1 dinner for my family per week. The workout schedule and having a full time job mean I'm not home often, but they have definitely made me more aware of my time management.I approached my dad tonight with this and offered to pay 1/4 of the monthly internet added onto my rent, and my other responsibilities. As of right now, I use my phone internet for anything past midnight, which is actually even more expensive than the internet bill, and I'm paying for it anyway. All he brings up is my past year and how it's been terrible, which doesn't make me feel good, and if I come up with a counter argument it resorts to something along the lines of "my house, my rules". I proposed as long as I get all of my house responsibilities done, keep my job obviously, and pay my rent and internet fees I should have the freedom to do what I want. I am an adult after all, I'm just living at home.Am I wrong to think that the restrictions can be lifted? With the workout schedule I have now staying up late into the night won't be an option. It's bad for me and I'll be tired. On the flip-side if I do stay up my current job doesn't start until 9:30, which gives me plenty of time to get up and get ready without rushing like my last job. I just don't see how he can still be so stubborn on this subject even though I'm doing really well for myself, and I'm becoming a lot more responsible.I want to move out, but it's tough to save with the rent I owe him (my first jobs didn't pay well and I got behind), and I don't really have any financially stable roommate options. Since I'm really the only one of my friends that wants to move out because I pay rent anyway.​TL;DR: My dad put some restrictions on our router internet. These don't allow anybody on internet past midnight. It's been a month and a half and because many circumstances have changed, I have asked they be removed. He won't budge and I don't understand why.​If any parents here have been in a similar situation on the opposite side of me I'd love to hear what you have to say. I'm not just here to vent, I genuinely want to understand. If not, maybe I can finally come up with a counter-argument that he'll agree with.If this is the wrong place to post, I'll remove it if someone can let me know where better to ask these questions.​EDIT: added in the time frames in which the restrictions operate. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2PkN1XS

No comments:

Post a Comment