Tuesday 30 August 2016

[Serious] Parenting advice needed, what to do with my 13-year old son, whom I just caught sneaking back into home @ 4:am? (x-post from r/askmenover30)


Copying my message from other subreddit, your advice is appreciated:Hi guys,Long story short, I had trouble sleeping tonight, so I was smoking, out on my back porch, when I heard some noises, coming from my backyard gate.It was my 13 year old son and his (currently) best friend sneaking back into the house. My son was just able to utter an (I imagine) astonished "Oh" and his friend was gone with the wind.This happened 30 minutes ago, and according to my son (who doesn't seem to be under influence of drugs and/or alcohol) two of them have been hanging out with two girls that they like in the neighborhood park.I had a quiet, mostly fact gathering talk with him, and sent him to bed.What is a parent to do?My wife is asleep, and doesn't know about this yet, I will talk to her tomorrow.I need to go to sleep, as I have to work, in a few hours, so I would really appreciate some some sound advice, on how to deal with this.Here are my initial thoughts:!) Have all parents informed (not sure how feasible is this as some parents are divorced, and we haven't met any of them previously) about the fact that their children are out @ 4:00 am.2) Invite everybody over (parents and kids), and have a discussion on how we can make sure that they are safe, and not out of the house that late.I don't think there is a much point in forbidding them to be together as they obviously care so much to go to such an extreme, AND I have read "Romeo and Juliet", but I cannot let him/them be outside this late. It is a pretty safe neighborhood, but still, they are just 13 years old.What do you think?P.S. - Thank you all for your advice (in advance, as I have to go to bed, and will probably not able to get back to you, until tomorrow, or the day after, but I will will try to read your input)! via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2cbZVb5

No comments:

Post a Comment